Saturday, February 28, 2009

Autumn Bliss

The warmth of summer continued into the school year. I was able to ride my bike over to Saint Margaret’s almost every day. Beautiful warm late summer days. Lots of Team Tag in the parking lot. I had been with most of my classmates for a long time now and the bonds of friendship were growing stronger. Saint Margaret’s was our own little world, and we were Sixth Graders now, practically kings of the roost. Mrs. Carey had a strong influence on us, and under her guidance we were trying to become more mature little ladies and gentlemen.
Maybe in the classroom we were trying to be mature, but outside it was Team Tag and bike riding and baseball. For Steve Kay and me it was World War II in his basement and whatever war we wished outside in his yard. Our battles would swirl around the Episcopal Church and on into the woods along Academy Avenue, and the sounds of the war in the deserts of North Africa rose up from the cellar. Steve had a big black Newfoundland dog named Thor who welcomed me as one of the family, helping to ease the sting of losing my beloved boxer, Whee-Zee.
October developed into a grand Indian Summer, with warm and sunny days, followed by cool, crisp evenings. The perfect time of year. Even raking leaves isn’t so bad in this kind of weather.
It’s getting close to Halloween, so I’m wondering if the Communists have something up their sleeve again this year. Will they set up missiles somewhere else close to us, or will they start some new trouble over in Berlin again?
This year I’m starting to feel like I’m getting too old for Halloween. I’m having trouble getting too excited about it all. I actually get invited to a Halloween party by one of the girls in my class. A party with boys and girls together. Not cousins or neighbors, but girls.
I decide to go to the party in that Raggedy Ann costume my mother made because no one in my class ever saw me wear it. It covers your whole body, and no one will suspect a boy coming dressed as a girl’s doll. It works, nobody guesses it’s me, and when I take the mask off I get a good laugh from everyone. They play music at the party and we’re encouraged to dance. I’m reluctant to, and I kind of hang back at the wall. One of the girls convinces me to try, and I do, but I’m awkward at it. I love music, but I’ve got no rhythm. Needless to say, I do not sweep the girls off their feet. I’m embarrassed by my clumsiness, so I retreat further away from my true feelings about girls my age.
The Russians and the Cubans don’t make any trouble this October, and I decide I’ll make one last Halloween effort. I decide to wear my Dad’s army shirt and the helmet Uncle Pat got me. I’m going to be Sgt. Fury from the Marvel comic book that came out this year. It’s an easy costume to throw together, and I like all things military, so I have some fun running around the neighborhood one last time.
The problems in our country and around the world seem to melt away this fall. There are no worries for us here in Woodbury Heights. Vietnam, Cuba, Berlin and Birmingham don’t seem to matter right now. Warm weather and strong friendships. We’re safe and happy in our town and our country.
The days of October and Indian Summer fade. Let’s hope this warm feeling lasts on into November.

No comments: