Thursday, November 1, 2007

1955: New Horizons

My Green Rixe

The year 1955 would see some life-changing events for me. A two-wheeler bike and a baby brother.
My first two wheeled bike is green with wide chrome fenders and white balloon tires. It has bone white handle grips and a hand brake for the front tire as well as coaster brakes. On the handle bar stem is a shield with stylized wings and the name Rixe across it. It also says Made In West Germany. Over the back fender is one of those European mouse trap kind of things that you can clamp down on objects you want to take with you. It can still be seen in Woodbury Heights in my parents' basement. Some of the original parts are gone, but it's still there.
At first I rode with training wheels until the day came when dad decided I was too old for them anymore and I was going to ride like a man.
Up and down the driveway I would go with him or mom holding on to steady me. They would pick the right moment to let go, and I of course would fall to the ground immediately. Time and again they would repeat the routine, and time after time I would crash and burn. I had no patience back then, so I cried and I yelled and I wailed that I was no good and I would never get it right. I was disgusted. I could never ever ride that darned thing without the training wheels.
I believe my dad said something like, "Well if you can't ride it without the training wheels I guess you just won't ride it at all."
Whatever he said motivated me enough to try it again and again and again. I fell again and again and again. I fumed and I fussed again and again. Then all of I sudden, one more time I hopped on, pushed off, and started pedaling. I wobbled and I shook, but my course was pretty straight and lo and behold I was taming the green beast!
Soon I was riding like the wind. Up and down the sidewalk from our house to the Olsens' and back. Around and around the house and yard.
I knew I had arrived when my mom told me she wanted me to ride down the street to Trackie's store. An errand-the first rite of manhood. Mom watched me as I traveled down Walnut Ave. alone on my Rixe. I don't remember what she sent me for but I was proud when I got home. It was a good day to become a man.
On July 4th,1955, I would become a brother.

2 comments:

Bob Thomas said...

Great to see you writing the blog again. I don't remember my first ride w/o training wheels -- but I do remember sliding along on rough concrete on my elbow. Ouch! I didn't know my flesh came in so many colors and could hurt so much. That was my reward for racing the "big kids" and not being able to handle the speed they were making.

Cat-Pat H said...

I'm going to have to go down cellar and look closely at the bike down there, it is the one I also learned to ride without training wheels. I jnow it has the mouse trap book holder on it. It sounds very similar to what you describe. Unlike you, I didn't take in the details and remember things the way you do and all these uears it has been down there, I never looked close at it.