Friday, March 14, 2008

Back To School; September 1960

Going back to Woodbury Heights Elementary in 1960 would be significant for two reasons.
1. I was going to have Third Grade with all my old friends in Mrs. Lee's class.
2. It was my brother Carl's first day of Kindergarden.
I was anxious to get back with my old pals Paul Lapann, Tommy Moore and Richie Hearn. I was eager to see Jimmy Matsuk and Greg Jones and Don Vanneman, and once again study at the feet of stick figure genius Tommy Budd. I couldn't wait to get to school to hear what they had all been up to over the summer. We had all heard what a great teacher Mrs. Lee was, so I was happy and excited at the chance to be in her class. I would be off to Third Grade in high hopes and great expectations.
But what of my brother? How was he going to react? The first day of school went badly for me. I cried. I was a spectacle. I was a scene. Would Carl embarrass my mother the way I had? Would Mom spend the morning sitting in the Luncheonette crying and worrying about him they way she had with me? Would they walk home in silence together, one in embarrassment and the other in anger and with worry?
I wondered about it all as I forced down my Rice Krispies at the kitchen table.
Well, this is the thing, I mean this is how it all went down.
My brother, he gets gets washed and dressed, comes to the kitchen table where he gulps down a bowl of cereal. He looks at Mom and says, "I don't need you to go to school with me."
He hops down from his chair and rushes out the door, picking up our neighbor Paul Avis along the way. They're off and running before I can get out the door.
I can't believe this.
I think Mom can't believe this.
I'm completely dumbfounded.
Five year olds; who can figure them out?

2 comments:

Bob Thomas said...

Jim,

Great post. You were the oldest child, right? So school was new and scary to you. For your brother - he grew up watching you head off to school - probably something he wanted to do for a few years.

Don Vanneman? Did he run cross country and pretty darn good, too? Did he have any younger brothers? Did he live in the Heights all the time or did he move in later?

Jim Maddox said...

Don was a great cross country runner despite the fact that he smoked. He lived in the Heights all the time, but he wasn't in my Kindergarden class. I don't remember if he had brothers or not.