Thursday, March 27, 2008

Where Have All The Bullies Gone?

Woodbury Heights didn't have an official police force yet. Any real serious criminal activity was handled by the State Police or a call to the Deptford Police Department. What we did have were town marshals; everyday citizens who volunteered their time to help protect the public, just like our volunteer firemen. There wasn't too much going on in town back then anyway, we were a pretty quiet and peaceful place. Some of the Heights boys would get themselves in trouble by fist fighting and vandalism; the really hard cases would usually be given a choice: serve serious jail time or go into the army. It was rumored that that's what happened to Johnny Lucas just down the street from me. He was one of the local tough guys, one of the boys I'd have to keep an eye out for. He was a Greaser, with slicked back oily hair and a real dark complexion. Johnny and his father both had skin that was so dark that you weren't quite sure if they were black or white. Their front yard was decorated with old cars and parts of old cars. Mr. Lucas was a huge man with a giant lump protruding from his neck in between his shoulders. He looked mean and it was said that he had been a professional boxer at some time. I always walked by their house quickly, especially if old man Lucas was sitting outside on the front porch. I kept an eye out for Johnny, too. I don't remember him ever doing anything to me, but I wasn't taking any chances. Anyway it was rumored that Johnny Lucas did something bad, really bad. Stealing cars maybe. We heard he was given "a choice." He just disappeared, and then Mr. Lucas was gone, too.
I hadn't seen the Goss brothers, either. After one of them tried to steal my bike and I managed to get away, I had kept a sharp eye out for them. Whenever I saw one of them coming I'd turn quickly away in the opposite direction, never letting them get close to me again. Here in 1960, they were nowhere to be seen.
Dave Sullivan down on Glenwood next to my friends the Maddens was still considered one of the most dangerous guys to watch out for. Paul Thomas, too. I knew the Maddens, and these guys were their neighbors, so they pretty much left me alone. One time, they and a bunch of their henchmen had gathered in the field next to the Madden house. I was hanging out with Ricky Madden at the time, and against our better judgment, we wandered over to see what they were doing. Next thing we know the field is catching fire, and Paul Thomas is all up in my face shouting, "If you tell on us, we'll say that you were in on it, and you'll have to go to reform school with the rest of us!"
Now I don't know what made them think I was a squealer, or why they chose to threaten me like that, but I got out of there fast, thinking I'd have to lie low until this thing blew over. Ricky ran home with me, just as afraid; convinced that his house was going to be burned down along with the field, and there was nothing he could say about it, because he would go to jail or reform school with the rest of them.
Well the fire was put out pretty quickly, and it didn't take long for the marshals to determine who did it. I didn't have to go under the interrogation lamps or anything, and the Maddens' house didn't burn to the ground. But that moment of terror, the thought that I would be ratted out in a lie by those guys kept me far away from them after that.
T-Bone Basile was still a threat. He was Tommy Madden's friend and so was I, but that didn't matter to him. I think he was still sore at me for almost beating Charlie Donner in the fourth of July race. He was one of the ones I beat out for second place, and I think he was still nursing that grudge.
I was at the ballfields with Whee-Zee one time when T-Bone and his cronies saw me. For whatever reason, he wanted to pick a fight with me. He was taunting me and calling me names and threatening to do me bodily harm.
I stood my ground, and Whee-Zee stood with me, a low growl coming from deep inside her.
"Come near me and my dog will kill you!", I shouted. "You leave me alone and she'll leave you alone."
I picked up some rocks as insurance.
Whee-Zee was pretty scary - looking to begin with, and when she was angry, well you didn't want to mess with her.
T-Bone and his minions considered all this, and wisely decided to let the matter rest.
"You won't have that dog around all the time, you'll see." And they left.
Maybe Tommy Madden had a word with him, or maybe he had gotten a close look at how protective my dog was, I don't know, but he never really bothered me after that.
So here in 1960 the streets had gotten a little safer, I could walk with less fear. The older tough guys were moving on or moving out. I'd still keep Whee-Zee by my side as often as I could, and I always knew where the best rocks could be found, you know, just in case. The local neighborhood had gotten quiet for me, and I could breathe a sigh of relief. Well, for a while, anyway.
Someone new would be coming, and I'd have to face this guy every day at school...

No comments: