Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crystal Ball

A new brother or sister? If I could just see into the future, then I’d know for sure. But who could predict the future anyhow? There was a place where you could see the future in 1962, but I had no way of getting there. It was happening in Seattle at the Century 21 Exposition. Most people were calling it a world’s fair, but whatever you called it it was a glimpse into the world of tomorrow.
I read about it in Life Magazine of course, and it stirred my imagination. I couldn't believe the things they were predicting for all of us at the turn of the next century-less than 40 years away!
I'd love to go up to the top of that Space Needle, with its revolving observation deck,even though I'm still afraid of heights. A chance to see exhibits from countries all over the world, except the Communist ones of course.
We'll never get there, so I have to be content just reading about it and watching it on the TV. What an amazing future awaits us all.
We’re gonna ride in supersonic airplanes that fly around the world in minutes. Not only that, we’ll have flying cars and jetpacks to get us around. High-speed monorail trains like the one at the fair will whisk us all to work and to school, so we’ll hardly ever have to use cars.
The schools will be marvels themselves, with walls of air and floating tables and canvas roofs that move with the sun! We’ll never want to miss a day of learning again.
Telephones will have push-buttons instead of dials, and they won’t have wires. There’s even gonna be video phones so you can see who you’re talking to, just like in the movies.
We’ll have computers in our homes and kitchens will be fully automated, so our moms will hardly have to lift a finger. There’s gonna be wall-sized TVs and we’ll be able to watch movies in our living rooms.
The 21st century looks like a marvelous new world, and I’ll be there to see it. I can’t wait to have my own flying car and a movie theatre in my home, and a kitchen that does everything automatically.
2001: I can’t wait to see it all happen.
Hmmm...maybe they’ll invent a way to take pictures of babies before they’re born so you can tell if it’s a boy or a girl-now wouldn’t that be something?

No comments: